Versioning is the method where all the successive changes are stored in versions with unique numbers. Usually versioning is done for all source codes in development projects where there might be a case of reverting back if any of the changes are not working as expected.
So? is it good or bad? Lets see some of its (only major) advantages first: Positive things comes first!
- Document will have a detailed life story from the time it was created till now. We can see all the changes done in each and every version.
- As mentioned already, can revert back to previous version anytime if something is not right.
- When more than one person is working on a document, version helps to track the changes clearly.
Lets see the other side of the coin, the major disadvantage of using ‘Versioning’
When versioning is enabled, each and every version of the document is stored in the database and if there are 10 versions, 10+1 times the size of the file is stored in the content database. Can ask only size issue? Yes. But this could be a major issue if the size of the farm is really small.
So whats the best advice?
- Use versioning only when and where its necessary
- Switch off for all those documents which will never see a change in the recent future
- Housekeep older versions and be completely aware of the size the files are going to occupy.