For all the changes done to SharePoint installation, we do have to perform some kind of backup with a cautious feeling, what if something goes wrong? What if our sites don’t work?
1. Take a backup of all the files under GAC folder. To do so, go to start –> run –> type C:\windows\assembly\gac_msil and press enter. You will be taken to the assembly folder. Copy all the folders there and save it safely in a backup folder.
2. Take a backup of all the content database being used in the farm.
3. Take a backup of all the folders under c:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories and save it in a backup folder. It might come in handy later on.
4. Check and note down the old version of the farm by going to Central Admin–> Operations–> Servers in farm.
Now you are all set to perform the installation.
Download the update
1. Go to this website and download the SP3 Package for 32-bit (also need to check your server for 32-bit or 64-bit before selecting the file to use) Save it to a easily identifiable place like Desktop.
2. Go to this Website to download Office Servers Service Pack 3 package.
Now you are all set to perform the upgrade to the server. Continued…