Whats new in SharePoint 2013 Workflow:
- Workflow Manager client 1.0 is introduced as the new powerful foundation.
- Workflow Manager Client 1.0 is built on Windows Workflow Foundation 4
- Works best for Apps of SharePoint and for Cloud-based computing.
- Workflows are entirely Declarative – only designer based and no-code workflows
- Workflows can be done using Designer and Visual Studio 2012 in a simplified way.
- Enhanced connectivity as it has to work between on-premises, and Office 365
- Full interoperability with previous version (SharePoint 2010) workflows
- Can compose the workflow logic in Visio and later use it in Designer.
- Enhanced Single step deployment for Visual Studio Workflows
- A big list of custom actions and some new actions to work with Project 2013 to create Project-based workflows.
- Visual Studio workflows enables us to remotely host and run workflows outside SharePoint Server.
- Visual Studio workflows are completely design driven and uses XAML for the logic.
- There are Workflow Activities and actions to know about. Activities are code level objects to handle method calls and actions are wrapper objects that present these activities in a user-friendly form in SharePoint Designer.
- Interactions are always with Workflow Actions in SharePoint Designer
SharePoint Designer vs Visual Studio 2012:
- For Non-technical persons
- no-code, text-based designer
- Visual design environment, graphical elements are arranged on a design surface to represent a logical flow of processes
- There is an option of reusable workflows but if a workflow is created with one list or library, it can be used only within that list or library
Visual Stuido 2012:
- For Developers
- Customized workflow which enables developers to create custom actions to use in SharePoint Designer
- Can debug the workflow
- Can create any complex leveled workflows
- Can develop workflow to be used in Apps and cloud-based
- Can create workflow templates which can be reused in any other site collection.
Workflows are always special to me… whichever version it may be… Workflows are the best!!!
Finally, wanted to share a book that I came to know about which will be hitting the shelves soon!! A good read for sure!